I’ll admit there are certain times of the month when I like it more than others. And, during those times I’m perfectly OK with just eating a handful of chocolate chips from my baking cabinet. Other times I need to eat a spoonful of peanut butter with chocolate chips all over it. I know…I have no shame. But, every once in a while when that just won’t cut it, I’ll turn on the oven and actually use the baking chips to bake something.
My mom used to make these cakies all the time. They are an old Weight Watchers recipe, but they are actually really good. I haven’t made them in a long time, but since I’m craving chocolate right now, I decided to dig for the recipe. We always called them “cakies”, but I think most people refer to them as whoopies. They look like a cookie, but have a more cake-like consistency. Let me tell you: Fresh out of the oven, these things will definitely do the trick. Here’s the recipe:
Chocolate Cakies (makes 24)
2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 egg substitute (or you can use 1 whole egg + 1 egg white)
3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Beat sugar, butter, and eggs till combined. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until combined.
4. Add yogurt, vanilla, and chocolate chips and stir till combined.
5. Bake 10 minutes and enjoy!