I’m sure y’all have heard about quinoa and how it’s so good for you. I have to say, the first time I tried it I wasn’t so crazy about it, but knowing how good it is for us, I was determined to find a way to enjoy it. So, I came up with this recipe. It’s one of our family favorites. We had it this weekend and I wanted to share. It’s super easy, and pretty enough for company. Note: I’ve made it using chicken sausage and it’s fab as well, if you’re into that sort of thing. Here’s the recipe…
Stuffed Peppers with Sausage and Quinoa
1 cup dried quinoa
3-4 bell peppers (red or green), split lengthwise and seeded
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 onion, diced (not shown in photo)
1 lb ground Italian sausage (hot or mild)
3/4 can of tomato soup
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
crushed red pepper flakes, optional
1. Start by cooking quinoa according to package directions. While that’s cooking, prepare the following…
2. In a skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the sausage until almost completely browned. Then, add in the onions and garlic and continue to cook until the sausage is completely browned.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the cooked quinoa, sausage mixture, 3/4 can of tomato soup, and the parmesan cheese. Taste, and add salt/pepper/red pepper flakes according to your tastes.
4. Spray a large casserole dish, and arrange the peppers in it. Fill those babies up. Make sure to press the filling into all of those crevices and go ahead and mound them up.
5. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. While this is baking, sit down and have a glass of wine.
6. Add the shredded cheese to the tops, then put back into the oven for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and enjoy!
(linking up here)