I didn’t post my weekly menu yesterday because it’s pretty lame. We’ve got a few busy nights, and so I just put the menu together using some leftover meals we didn’t cook from the last couple of weeks.
Over the weekend, I continued painting the foyer. Unfortunately, with these tall ceilings, I couldn’t finish. I’ll have to call in the pros for that. Before, it was dirty builder’s beige. Now it’s bright, clean Agreeable Gray (Sherwin Williams). (Sorry for the poor quality pic here).
As you can see, I still don’t have it fully styled. Believe it or not, this is one of the last rooms we’ve touched since we moved in a year and a half ago. It’s got a ways to go, but the new paint is a good start. Although the console isn’t exactly the right scale for that tall wall, it stays. It was one of the first pieces of good furniture we bought together when we bought our first house. But, I’ve got some ideas for making it work. Hopefully I’ll be able to share that in the coming weeks.
What I’m going for is an atrium feel. With the skylight and tall ceilings, it’s got so much natural light that it’s perfect for my plants to thrive…if I could keep the naughty kitty out of them. Poor Oscar was twice this size. (Does anyone else name their plants???)
As you can see, we are still dealing with the lovely green marble and white tile floors. I’m afraid there’s not much I can do about that either. Until we get to replace them, we just have to live with them. I think this is the room that will definitely benefit the most from some beautiful new wood floors. Until then…ignore them! That’s what I do.
I bought the cool new black and white planter from Homegoods yesterday. I was going for something graphic and a little modern, since the piano and table of my grandmother’s were starting to make this spot feel like…well…my grandmother’s. I’ve got plans for the glass terrarium. The stones were painted by my kids and their grandmother last summer. I plan to add some smaller rocks and some succulents. I also want to change out the picture frames, but I’m trying to use what I’ve got. I can’t replace it all at once. I’m thinking my next project for this spot, though, will probably to recover that piano bench. The red is too much for me on top of the rug. It stays.
I also painted the front door, which someday we will replace, but in the meantime the same Urbane Bronze that we used on the kitchen cabinets warms it up in the same way wood would. That’s fun to say. Wood would.
Anyways, it’s an improvement. Or, a step forward, at the least.
Thanks for stopping by.